30 January 2011

PROSPERITY Gospel = Heartbroken Sandra (Part 2)

The broken heartedness is for two groups.

1) Those who hear this twisted gospel—. Today, in one of the two churches I attended the pastor preached on this decade (2011-2020) being a “Decade of Opportunities”. Pride dripped from his suit as he preached. I tried to hear anything that the Holy Spirit might teach me in spite of this man. I believe that the enemy knows I have to fight against the urge to ‘tune out’ when I hear anything that sounds like it might be the “Prosperity Gospel,” which is so stinkin’ prevalent here!

So I didn’t tune out. I listened. I listened to the man tell me that God has given him a word, that this is a decade of opportunities for me and all I need to do is take advantage of these opportunities that will come before me. He gave some material examples and how I would be blessed. Thank goodness ‘my son’ urinated on me as he slept in my lap and that gave me a reason to step outside the church building. (When I am listening to a message that is not Biblical I can hardly stay in my seat. I’ve been known to leave a church if something does not align with Scripture. I just can’t help it.)

So I stepped outside to let my skirt dry and air out KÉ”si's cute little trousers before we went to the next church where I was expected to speak this morning. I was still in earshot of the message and continued to listen. I couldn’t help but overhear to local men speaking in English about their disapproval of what the pastor was saying.

What about the people that hear this? What about those who don’t know truth and are relying on the pastor for truth?

I had two people tell me the same thing today as I voiced my broken heartedness. One is a new follower of Christ and one is a long time follower of Christ. Both told me that pastors these days will preach messages that people will respond to with “Hallelujahs” and “Amens” and fists and hankies in the air. If someone preaches that the life of a believer may not be easy, people will just sit and listen and not become emotionally involved and “the offering will not be plenty.” It doesn’t take much to see the motive in that one.

Today the pastor had everyone shouting, “I WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES BEFORE ME!” They shouted with gusto and joyful expression. And all I could think about was Stephen in Acts 6-7. God called him to “wait tables” and not long afterward he found himself standing before the Sanhedrin on trial only moments from his death. As he was certainly filled with the Holy Spirit, there is no doubt in my mind that he saw his situation as an “opportunity of his lifetime” for this is the man that God would use to fulfill his prophecy and command that the gospel should be spread to Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth. The stoning and death of Stephen sent believers throughout the area sharing the Gospel of Jesus. Any true follower of Christ would be honored to be in Stephen’s place. HOWEVER, in my own mind (which is known to be quite wrong at times) I don’t see Stephen standing up in the temple throwin’ up a rock fist (claiming material blessings in conjunction with his situation) shouting out such things. If anything I see him humbly, bowing in reverence before the King offering up his life.

But those who hear and have believed are also called to live in the Spirit and should spot a wolf in sheep’s clothing. (John 10) While these ‘deceivers’ are responsible for their own deeds and for leading others astray, as believers we have the Holy Spirit and God provides a way out for those who are already His (1 Cor. 10:13).

And 2 Timothy 4:3-4 reveals godlessness of some of the audience these deceiving “evangelists” are catering to…

“For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

2) The second group my heart breaks for is the “deceivers” themselves. Not because I think any part of what they are doing is okay, but because they are human and are living in the same fallen-ness in which I have lived. Their ending that awaits them will not be pretty. God desires all to be saved, even these men and women.

There is one young man who I’ll call Joe who I absolutely saw the Lord working through in 2007! He was an incredibly gifted teacher, encouraging to all around and just a blessing to be around. I looked forward to seeing him in 2008 and learning what the Lord had done in the year that I had not seen him. As it turned out, he fell into the hands of one or more deceivers and was in a pickle and wanted financial assistance to get out of it. Unfortunately, I was not in a place where I could assist him. He struggled for a bit and then really had no other 'visible' option but to put his hope in these same deceivers who left him hanging before.

His heart has become hardened and it shows on his face and in his expressions and body language toward other people. Each time I see him his pride grows and he becomes more distant. In Jesus’ name I want to encourage him, but I know his spirit won’t hear me, only his pride will. He is waiting on promises to be fulfilled from the men who are deceiving them. He is awaiting his earthly reward. My heart breaks for what could have been and incredible pastor leading the Lord’s flock. My heart breaks that his fate may be that which is described within 2 Peter. What a horrible fate!

No comments:

Post a Comment