17 January 2011

The Kingdom of God Belongs to Such as These…


Disclaimer: This post is not in anyway intended to make any of my fellow American teachers or parents envious or jealous! :) haha

Last Sunday I was not feeling well. I did not confess this to my friends here in Ghana but I think it was due to some food that I had prepared on Friday and Saturday had failed to reheat properly.

So I made it to church but left early. I stayed in bed from 11am to 1pm. At 3pm I stepped outside my house. The neighborhood children playing nearby spotted me and yelled my name and ran to me. I explained that I wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t entertain them. I’d decided I would attempt to cook soup and asked Edinam, a 10 year old girl, to prepare banku for me. She smiled and said yes.

When the children learned Edinam was helping me, they all wanted to help. I said not a word! I just watched them. The three girls Edinam, Augustina and Perpetua (all 10 yrs old) collected everything they needed to prepare banku. The boys, Freddy and Eddie (10 and 8 respectively), decided they would wash dishes so Eddie went into the house and collected all the dirty dishes from the evening before. I sat in the house and worked on preparing the soup, occasionally stepping outside to check their progress and take pictures.

Upon completion of their respective tasks they tidied up, put everything in its place and one would never have been able to guess that they’d spent the last hour on the terrace washing and cooking! I was so grateful and so proud of these young ones!

It was a sweet, encouraging moment and it reminded me of each of you back on the home front that is diligently doing the work there! You are a blessing and an encouragement and I appreciate you! Thank You!” J (1 Thessalonians 1:2-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment