14 December 2011

Blast from the Past missionary

So I have this fear that I'm going to turn into one of those missionaries who comes back to the US and wears khaki pants up to the belly button with a cotton blue collared shirt tucked in, with white scrunchy socks and keds...Fro hair, glasses, and clueless when it comes to common English phrases and fads, and unable to relate to ANYONE.
Dissecting this a bit...
- I already care less about what people think about what I wear
- However scrunchy socks still are strange to me.
- I don't own any keds.
- I feel like I can relate to people better now than I could in March
- My priorities have changed; how could they not when living life in between a Western and Third World country

+ I was totally confused when I got home last time and saw all of these little black squares that look like some strange barcode EVERYWHERE
+ When I got home last February or June, I had no idea what "Silly Bands" were or why people would get so crazy over a shaped rubber band.
+ I still don't understand what 'Angry Birds' is or why they're a big deal.

I guess its a silly fear because some things are inevitable (AND superficial). Its silly because I have family and dear friends who will help me along the way. Its silly because I serve the One True God, who is over ALL and in all.

Even though I can acknowledge this shouldn't be a fear, its still something I think about. I think I need to learn to trust God in this and allow others the chance to accept me as I am, whether a "stuck-in-the-past-missionary" or not.

God please give me enough of Your grace that I can always connect with others.

4 comments:

  1. By the way, I don't really think clothes matter...it was just a way of getting the point across, that I'm afraid to be "out-of-touch" with people...nothing against khakis and keds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you come home wearing white Keds I am not drinking any kool-aid you make :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See my nightmare is coming true! I don't even know what that means!

    ReplyDelete