05 December 2011

Do IT!!!

My life is crazy. People allude to this thought often if not daily.

I would agree. Below are some off-the-wall things that have taken place in the last few years.

  • Grounded in the UK for 8 days due to Icelandic volcanic ash cloud
  • Eaten rodent while overseas, known locally in S. Texas as river rat
  • Spent a summer in Italy for mission training
  • Met people from dozens and dozens of different countries
  • Spent a few hours too many in Libya airport with way too many Americans and saw way too many rifles in those few hours, carried by way too many HUGE military men
  • Was able to spend time with Gypsies playing games and sharing Jesus
  • Drove over 10,000 miles in a little over a month...all...by...myself
  • Jumped off of a bridge (into a river) from at LEAST 50 feet up...felt like 500
  • Ran a half marathon with my sister
  • Began to learn an Africa language
  • Learned to cook African food on a coalpot, no easy feat!
  • Experienced an earthquake in Italy...I'm not from Cali so it was kind of a big deal
  • Correspond weekly with different friends from Europe and Africa...by phone not facebook
  • Hiked somewhere around 18km or miles, can't remember, down a mountain carrying a friend with 5 other people
  • In one summer learned to count in five different languages...Evegbe (Ghana), Italiano, Romaneste, Gypsy, and English (I know it shouldn't count but you know how it is...:)
  • Spent a day in Venice on a loooong journey from assignment in Romania back to training in Italy
  • Watched a young man go from motorbike driver to passionate follower of Christ in less than a year!
  • Spent time in villages with friends drinking coconut milk and eating the meat while visiting
  • Stood in front of crowds and speak (come on, its intimidating and you know it!!!)
  • Hiked through an incredible cave with freezing water in Romania
  • Played my first game of soccer/international football ever
Okay that's more than enough.

The point...its true, my life has been crazy. Way outside what I ever would have deemed NORMAL!
Most of the stuff I listed had nothing to do with what I wanted but is where I "ended up." And I just went with it. I don't know what happened to me.

Here's what I think though. I think when we do something outside the box, outside the comfort zone, maybe outside of "normal" we get a sense of boldness come over us! Sure part of it is adrenaline, but for me part of it is seeing that I can do wayyyy more than I thought capable and it frees me to press the mold a little bit, step out a little bit further, trust a little more.

I was pumped to hear of a group of believers in a small community reaching out in a manner never before attempted. I pondered over why people in this community would do this but wouldn't participate in other less extreme ways of ministering. And I think it comes back to the sense of adventure! It's a stretch, they could get in trouble...but let's be real, there are times when that really piques our interest and makes us dive in, even as adults.

So I will forever be putting this theory to the test by inviting others along for an adventure. I encourage you, design your own adventure! Go jump into the river/lake when its 34*F/1*C outside. No worries, you won't catch cold, I know from experience- not by choice however. Or play Hide-and-Seek in cars. Or walk up to someone and tell them Jesus loves them. Ride an elephant. Or do a crazy video that no one would EVER suspect and post it online for friends. Hike a mountain...or a big hill. Run. Pet a lion. Skydive (a future goal). Tell someone something you've never shared with anyone. Or go crazy and smile in a picture...for some that's a big deal! Whatever the case...DO something. God has given us incredible abilities, talents and gifts. He's put a huge world before us. Be wise and EXPLORE!

I'd love to hear of different/weird/crazy/exciting things that you have been a part of and would OR wouldn't recommend!!


Oh I forgot the important part...when we do things and realize just HOW much more we are capable of, I believe that mentality becomes a part of our spiritual lives as well, since we can't really compartmentalize like we think. And when I run over thirteen miles and my body hates me, I realize, umm, its much easier to open my mouth and say the three most important little words..."Jesus loves you" than to do this.

So don't do silly or extreme things for the sake of silliness or extreme-ness, but do them so that they will AwaKeN you to all that is before you. To the King of kings, to His grandeur, His creation, His love and His people.

Okay done :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sandra! I'm glad I found your blog...always nice to catch up on what people have been up to since our days at ETBU. :) This is a great post and SO TRUE. I've been working on getting out of my comfort zone. I don't want to look up when I'm fifty and realize that I didn't experience so many of the things that I wanted to! Sounds like you have had a great few years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY GIRL! Thanks! So what's your next adventure?? I'm in GW til the New Year and possibly after. We should catch up sometime...if you're around.

    ReplyDelete