12 April 2012

My RIGHTS!

Am I not free?... Don't I have rights too?!

That's what Paul starts writing about in chapter nine of 1 Corinthians.

Lately, with opposition from all sides (mostly just because of cultural differences) I find myself saying, "I'm free! I have rights! I can do it (wash, clean, dress, talk) any way I stinkin' want to!!!! So there!"

And as I read Paul's words, I realized, "Yes. I am am free! There are rights and freedoms that God has given us."

After establishing the fact that they have rights, Paul continues and says,
"But we did not use this right."

Ouch!

"On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ."

"I have not used any of these rights...What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it Free of charge, and so not make use of any of my rights in preaching it."

He's talking about specific rights but I believe this same principle applies to any and all rights.

As I am reading this I find it painful, because it reveals the shallow willingness inside my heart. I say I want the Gospel shared at all costs but the biggest hindrance I find here is me.

I want to be able to say, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the [Eve] I became like an [Eve], to win the [Eves]. ...to the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the Gospel, that I might share in its blessings."

I cannot say those things yet, but I can say,  by God's infinite grace, I have a continued opportunity to try. And as I have been convicted, I am working on it.

This summer I gave up some rights and without even having to think, I've taken them up again. As I've entered a new culture, there are new ones I have to give up. So my prayer this morning is:

Jesus, please deliver me from

the desire of being loved (I cannot be loved here the same way I am loved at home. Showered with hugs and words of affirmation and security in that love.)
the desire of being preferred to others (It feels like rejection when I am unable to spend time with the handful people that I am close to because they've chosen so be with other people or other activities)
the desire of being consulted (Often, I am unaware of decisions made and while I have full trust in those making them, I get irritated sometimes when I'm not included. I don't want to be this way.)
from the desire of being approved
from the fear of being ridiculed (I can handle some, but it happens so often here, its like its a special sport to ridicule Sandra.)
from the fear of being falsely or maliciously accused (the accusation as of late is that I have a school here and people are not happy with me ...schools are businesses here. This means the rumors lead people to believe that I am taking money from others.)
from the fear of being forgotten (Irrational, yes, but still I need to be delivered from this.)


So Jesus I pray for deliverance from these rights, desires and fears. And in place of them I ask that You remind me that I am wholly loved by You, that You are surely Sovereign over all, that in You there is no room for fear, only perfect love. Thank you that I am not forgotten. Please help to see what I can lay aside for the sake of the gospel and give me the courage and perseverance to do so! Mawu lolo nutc! God you are so great! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment