23 May 2011

Love

Reading in Romans 12 and noting the verb or action phrases:

Love must
be sincere.
Cling to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.
Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal but
keep your spiritual fervor,
serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer.
Share with God's people who are in need.
Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you;
Bless and do not curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice;
Mourn with those who mourn.
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but
be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
Be careful to
do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you,
live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends but
leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry,
feed him; if he is thirsty,
give him something to drink. In doing this you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but
overcome evil with good.

Just thought this was cool and is a good lesson that "love" is soooooooooooooo much more than just a feeling. First of all God is Love and what Love calls us to do we must do if we are His. Here in Romans, Love calls us into action!

Second, I'll think about this next time I say "I love you" to someone. Not that I will remember everything here but I can certainly do a little evaluation...am I truly loving this person?

And to those who I would be hesitant to say that I love...what better opportunity than to bring my relationship or lack thereof to the scripture and see what it is I need to recognize, confess, and correct? Is it pride that hinders me from truly loving this person? What is it that is keeping me from honoring this person above myself? What needs to take place for me to sincerely love this person?

God is Love and when I sincerely love, I share Him. What an incredible truth!

I was listening to a Beth Moore thing on my way here (to Ghana) and she mentioned how every time she was speaking to the Lord and would say "I love you" she was led to say "I love you too" because she was made aware that God is Love, love comes from God and there's never a time when she could say that she loves Him that He didn't first let her know.

Isn't that true????

I look around. God you've provided a roof over my head. I'm still being called 'Obolo' here (which means fat person) so I obviously don't want for any food! :) I have more clothes than I need and I have plenty of pure water...(learned this morning that the coffee pot doesn't heat the tap water long enough to purify it so I have been praising You for a plumbed toilet as well!) Your glorious creation stretches toward the heaven as if to worship You and when the wind blows it bows before You. Your variety is endless. The birds sing, the goats do whatever they do, the spiders are around, the rain comes at Your command, the sun rises and sets according to the schedule You have set, and even man, Your creation who has the freedom to disobey, seeks You because You, Love, have put within each of us a question, a longing, that can only be answered and filled by You. You, Love, are the Creator beckoning the made...in countless ways.

You have drawn me to Yourself. You fill my heart with joy, my life with peace, and my mind with Your precepts. Whom have I in heaven but You? Who can transform me by renewing my mind but Love Himself? There is no one like You, there is no one like You, there is no one like You, oh God! Thank You for Your work in my life. Thank You for teaching me. Thank You for revealing Yourself to me!!

I hear You Father and I love You too!



No comments:

Post a Comment