22 May 2011

The Gift

This is my first successful attempt on here since returning to Ghana. I've been here a week now and have about a week left before moving on to Italy.

With only two weeks I just brought along a very limited 'to do' list, knowing full well that two weeks means only about a week or so of actually accomplishing much (speaking in Western terms of course!)

What has taken place so far? What have I checked off of my list?

*Greetings.

Yep, that's it. I have greeted almost all of my friends in my village and the six other villages I frequent. Now granted, that's a lot of people. And here its like...my network of friends is my family. Family=security, help in time of need, love, support, encouragement, fun times, correcting, teaching, etc. My "Ghana Family" has filled all of these roles and is currently doing so. To not stop and greet some of them would be like spending two weeks in GW and not saying hello to my parents...unforgivable!!! lol! :)

But one other thing that may mean nothing to anyone else but me is that I have been able to better guard my devotional time and living in a "self-contained" house helps. (Self-contained means that the house is plumbed and has a kitchen, toilet, and bath all inside the house. Normal for most Westerners, but a luxury here.)

Anyway, I have been reading in Romans lately and one verse has stuck with me and while I am in the midst of something here it pops into my mind. Absolutely mesmerizing to me is Romans 5:15...but the Gift is not like the trespass.

Washing dishes pondering how many germs I've come in contact with..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Attempting to teach children Bible stories like Noah's Ark and David and Goliath as they say they've never heard them before (and frankly, their faces don't look like they care to hear them)..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Seeing joy in a child's face upon shaking his/her hand..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Or better yet, having those little fearless, pink hands stretch upward, begging me to pick them up...Praise God..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Not having internet access...its okay..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Having been made aware that I have catered to my flesh in spite of my desires for my Maker...Thank you Jesus that "the gift is not like the trespass."

Spending the morning worshiping my King..."the gift is not like the trespass."

Trying to train my beloved village kiddos how to behave in a "self-contained"... :) "the gift is not like the trespass."

Seeing the Lord's hand of mercy upon me...certainly "the gift is not like the trespass."

I could go on. I hope I am making sense. It's just like, no matter what is going on, I am aware that the gift stretches beyond me, beyond the first sin, it transcends time and this place...

"But the gift is not like the trespass.

The gift of God is not like the result of the one man's (Adam's) sin: The judgment followed onesin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification.

Just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

...just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 5:15a, 16, 18, 19, 21 (emphasis mine)

HELLO!!! The gift is not like the trespass!!!! Woohoo! Thank You Jesus! Thank you that you cover me by Your blood once and for all! Thank you for the promise of full restoration! Thank You for your deposit of the Holy Spirit, my guarantee on all of Your promises. Thank You for speaking into my life each day! Thank you that when I tarry in the waters of danger, still nothing can snatch me from Your hand!

Whatever does or doesn't take place in my last week here, I know one thing for sure! The Gift isnot like the trespass. I rest assured as a child of the Father, in the arms of my Savior and by the leading of the Holy Spirit. All else pales in comparison, but when coupled with the Lord and His purposes these things become exciting, encouraging, and even entertaining!

I wish I could just keep writing on God's goodness and what He is teaching me...







No comments:

Post a Comment