26 December 2010

Scandalous..

It’s funny how one can adapt to a new environment! What an incredible thing the human mind and body are together! Every now and then I’ll have a moment where I notice myself doing or thinking something significantly different than my typical way of life in Texas, (some of which I’ve mentioned in previous posts.)

Today I was taking the thirty minute bike (motorcycle) ride out to the village of Avagoeme. We were going for church so I was dressed appropriately in slit and caba (African skirt and top.) Unfortunately I haven’t mastered the art of side-saddling a bike on a bumpy road (or on a good road) so I was straddling the bike. I was sitting behind the driver, which would seem like the only place available to sit HOWEVER it is common to see the driver with three passengers behind him (that equals FOUR people on a bike, just pointing out.) So on this bike it was just the driver and myself and as such, I didn’t have to worry about the front of my skirt and I managed to bring the sides of my skirt around my knee and secure it between my leg and the bike.

During our drive I would wave at smiling faces and at one point had semi-turned around to get something out of my bag. After about twenty minutes into the ride I noticed that people would smile, wave and then look down at something. Finally I noticed that my skirt had come loose on the right side of the bike and my ENTIRE knee was showing!! Oh I was so embarrassed! Haha! That sounds so funny within the confines of our own culture but that was really how I felt! I scrambled to cover my knee, shocked that it would draw so much attention from onlookers and fellow travelers.

What’s ironic is that it is totally acceptable for me to walk around in the mornings wrapped in just a cloth (which doesn’t cover my shoulders but certainly DOES cover my knees!) A woman can sit topless and nurse and it’s no big deal because it’s necessary and normal. So what might seem scandalous here is totally acceptable at home but what is scandalous (or unacceptable at the least) at home is accepted as normal here. Gives a great perspective of how many things we see as black and white might actually be more in the “relative” realm when we step outside of ourselves and our own culture!! This experience also gives me another perspective of “all things to all people.” (Just Friday I was told by leader in another village that the only acceptable thing for me to where is a dress. I responded respectfully and made sure I was wearing a dress the next time I knew I would see him.)

Other “Adaptations”:

  • Rather than seek with everything in me to find the culprit and be assured of its death, now when I feel something crawl on me or fly onto me I just brush it off with my hand.
  • At home I could not imagine sleeping in a house with the temperature over 80 degrees. Here that’s typical and I really don’t mind it. (But I know when I go back to the States, my feelings about that will change.)
  • People. Don’t get me wrong, I love people at home but we have boundaries and socially acceptable practices and everyone kind of knows their place in one’s life. Here, not so much. But I have been able to truly enjoy people being up close and personal! Sometimes it takes me from my housework or personal maintenance like keeping up with logs, planning, etc. but it’s very much worth it. Socially it is unacceptable to pass through someone’s compound, business, or even on the road without greeting them. Therefore when I’m washing my clothes or dishes or if I’m cooking on the terrace I’m sure to be stopped countless times just to say hello to both friends and strangers.
  • I absolutely ENJOY the food here. I can eat the same food for every meal and enjoy it. That might be due to the fact that I know I’ll be gone in a couple of months and not be able to get it. Nevertheless I enjoy it, which is a stark difference from where I was in 2008 when Robert and I stayed in Ghana for a month- I could hardly choke down the stuff! J
  • I think there’s only been one day since I moved here that I have NOT swept my house at least twice. That definitely doesn’t happen at home.
  • I’ve mentioned the lack of refrigeration thing…and surprisingly it doesn’t bother me in the least bit.
  • I have a red dress here that I’ve worn about six days but have only washed once. Reminder: we sweat quite a bit here. Its typical to wear clothes multiple times until they get dirty or smell pretty bad. Today I spilled stew on my dress so I’ll actually wash it tomorrow. After church on Sundays you can walk by someone’s house and see their church clothes hanging on the line, not because they’ve washed them, but so they can air out and dry out (from the sweat.)
  • I love my small wardrobe! And don’t mind wearing the same clothes each week (and wish it was socially acceptable to do that in the States too!)
  • Washing clothes by hand is actually relaxing. Dishes are the same as home as far as I’m concerned. : )
  • I eat way less bread and don’t mind it. Less dairy too but then, I’m not a fan of dairy products at home either.
  • Greeting strangers. At home there are times when I struggle with greeting people that I know. But I enjoy greeting people here I think because it seems to mean more, or at least be more important, even though they reply “fine” just like we do at home (even if everything’s not fine).
  • I mention all of these simply because they are ways that I’ve seen myself change to be able to better serve, enjoy and appreciate this culture- not because one is right or wrong or better or worse.
  • I don't use or appreciate the "F-word" at home but I've begun to take it as a compliment here. (F-word = FAT) ...okay, this one's a stretch...just because its a compliment doesn't make it any less shocking to have someone shout out, "Oh you are a fat woman!" I must say, when I saw my closest friends after arriving here they said, "Oh Sandra, you have reduced!"
  • The language is another adaptation that seems like it would take forever. Not just the foreign language but even adapting to their "English." With some people I still struggle with it but for the most part I'm doing okay. There are definite differences in vocabulary for example, in Ghana trousers=pants because pants=underwear. (As I think of other funny/extreme examples I'll have to add them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment