27 December 2010

Not Yesterday

So yesterday was a beautiful day. Today was not the opposite of yesterday but it certainly was different! Still good.

In my previous post I mentioned a man who brought his sister to me. The sister's name is Gladys and she lives a good ways away from the village we are traveling to. We established a time to meet according to her "plans" and decided 10am we would all meet. Godson and I were on our way and the bike we were on started missing and then would cut off. He was able to start it again twice. After the third time we stopped to call someone. He had his phone but no credit (minutes) and I had credit on my phone but I accidentally left it at my house. Therefore we had to walk twenty minutes to find someone who was selling the minutes to call the Pastor and see what we should do.

I was so disappointed that we weren't there for Gladys. Yesterday evening and this morning I prayed that she would finally be able to make it when we were there (last year, every time we went she wanted to go but something physically kept her each time.) She DID make it but obviously we did NOT. It was tempting to chalk it up as "unfortunate" and go home for the day. But because of Gladys, we pressed on. We took the stop-and-go bike back to the village for repairs and rented another bike for the day and made our way back out to the village. We arrived somewhere around 1pm.

The people had been there for three hours already and were studying in 1 Kings. When we arrived they began reading in John where they left off in their previous studies. I sat with Gladys who cannot read or write. She was listening to the Ɛwɛ conversation and giving her own input. It seemed she agreed with what Jesus was saying about John and the Father testifying of Him.

After the Bible study, we established a time that we will travel out to her house tomorrow for one-on-one meeting. The goal will be to see where she is in her faith and my hope is that she and I both can begin to memorize some scripture in her language that will give her assurance in Christ Jesus!

It was hard to believe that we actually made it to the village and that the Bible study went so well. I cannot imagine a group of Americans waiting around three hours for people to show up and sit in on a Bible study!!!

The second unbelievable thing that happened was that we ate crab for lunch! The crab itself was not unbelievable but the way that we ate it! I looked at that crab, and looked at it and looked at it. A man showed me how to eat it and my eyes got as big as saucers. Godson and Samuel laughed at me and the man questioned my never having had them before. I told him I have had "crab meat" but I've never had it with the shell (or whatever it is.)

Here is how I ate the red and bluish suckers!
Step 1: Pull the top off of the main body.

Step 2: Remove the grey things (which Google informed me is the ovaries and gill chamber).

Step 3: Eat the yellow gunk (The man said it was fat. Whatever it was tasted very bitter and seemed like something that should definitely NOT be eaten. :)

Step 4: Remove all of the meat from the head/shell thing and enjoy!

Step 5: Break the remainder of the crab (legs) in half and place one half in the bowl so as to begin eating the other half.

Step 6: Break off the claw and throw away.

Step 7: THIS is the part I couldn't believe. Break off a segment of the crab leg. Try to ignore the black hair stuff on its legs. Put into mouth. Begin chewing. (Yes the outside and all.) Swallow.

Step 8: Repeat until entire crab is gone.

For me eating the whole shell and all wasn't as bad as the hair stuff on the legs. It just didn't seem right!!! Since eating that at around 3pm I've been thinking, "I can't believe that stuff is in me! I can't believe I ate it! Will I be able to digest it???"

Can you tell I'm not a seafood person? For all I know that could be the way people eat crab at home but I've never seen it! Whew, what an experience!!!

We had coconuts again and Mama Gladys (different one) made a delicious red pepper sauce with banku!

Next time we travel out for Bible study (Thursday) I will get to fish!! We prepared the hook and line and Samuel cut sticks. I thought he was making a fishing "pole" until he divided the pole into four even pieces each about 10 inches long. When I asked him what it was for, he said it was for the line to make it easier to fish. Turns out it will serve the same purpose as a pole but it's just shorter. So I think the proper name for it would be fishing stick. I'm excited to see what we may be able to catch tomorrow! I've been told that the coconut is also good bait for the "mad black fish." I hope these people aren't leading me on! Haha!!

As we left there and made our way home on the bike it was everything I could do just to stay awake! It had been a long day for sure! When we got home my fan club was here to greet me! I wanted to buy some minutes for myself and make some phone calls home but its all I can do to move my fingers and keep my eyes open to type this. It's 7:10pm here.

Oh and our bike was repaired. Forgot to mention that Godson was measuring the level of the oil with a stick and dropped it in. The guy who repaired the bike said it would just melt and become a part of the oil. Is it just me or is that kind of wrong? I'm not mechanic but it just doesn't seem good for the bike. Hopefully we'll make it to Gladys' house tomorrow! Haha! :)

The bowl far right holds banku, and the bowl directly above it has pepper and onions- mmmm!

       I ate three crabs by the end but gifted the last two to an elder. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment