12 September 2009

Brief Recap on my Call to Missions

As many know, I have been called to full-time missions in Ghana. I am currently in the process of getting paperwork ready, raising funds, and preparing myself spiritually and physically. I plan to use this blog as a means to keep people updated so that I don't bombard family and friends with emails all the time.

Since I will post updates I figured I should start at point 'A' so someone doesn't jump in at point 'H' and wonder what's going on! If anyone would like a more lengthy version or has questions just email me at holenroof@gmail.com.

In January 2007 I got an invitation from my best friend from college, Elizabeth, to travel with her, her husband and a team to Ghana in West Africa. I had no idea how it could/would be pulled off but in just five months things came together (minus the passport! -long story) and I was committed to going.

It was an incredible two week trip. I taught hygiene and assisted with other things like packaging medicines and playing with children. I got pretty sick and lost two or three days. I don't think I had ever been that sick in my life. By the end of the trip I had found this love for the people we worked with and my heart was saddened by the fact that I may not be able to return.

I struggled being back in the states but eventually things came back together and the door was open to return to Ghana the following summer, this time with my younger brother. We stayed an entire month with the missionaries there. It was indescribable! We got to really get to know Daddy Joey and Momma Patti and we got to try our hand or at least observe many different mission endeavors: Patti with her medical care, Robert and Joey with the filters and rabbit barn, observing the school and the children, cooking, church services, shopping in the markets, hygiene lessons, pump repair...you name it! Before we left for this trip I had felt a tug on my heart to full-time missions and I was able to take one day at a time and really see what I thought about this calling. I feel like God gave me many opportunities to count the cost of serving in such a capacity. I had expressed to Joey and Patti some of what I was feeling and they were very encouraging! When we left Ghana, my second time, it was still difficult but a little less difficult knowing odds were good I'd be back.

And I did go back in July of this year. This year we went for three weeks and spent time teaching health and hygiene, evangelizing and helping Joey and Patti get things back together again in their village. Before this trip I had already been through a mission training school. I'd resigned my teaching position and moved me things up to the Houston area so I could substitute teach until it was time for me to move into the field. July was another opportunity for me to experience being in the field (for a short time) and weigh the cost. (Luke 14:25-33)

And I still want to submit to what God is calling me to. I'm not entirely certain of the timing. I got word the other day that it could take 3 weeks to 2 years to process my paperwork. I'm not sure how long it will take me to complete my fundraising. So I am in a waiting period. (Psalm 130:5)

While I am waiting I am looking for a new home church where I can jump in and work with like-minded believers. I am trying to learn as much as I can. I am looking to be discipled as that is what I feel like God is specifically calling me to.

The burden for discipleship was placed on my heart when I witnessed hundreds coming to Christ but no one sincere enough staying behind to disciple new believers and bring the Word to the forefront of the lives of those who had previously committed themselves to traditional worship and animism. I plan on discipling Ghanians (in whatever capacity God allows) who will then turn to disciple those in their village. (2 Timothy 2:1-2)

I also would like to have some children stay with me and assist me in learning Ghanaian culture, keeping a Ghanaian house and so on. I hope to be able to homeschool them.

I will begin this mission with a two-year commitment although at this very moment I could see myself spending a lifetime there! But I know that God has a plan and when I try to set something in stone it usually ends up shattered. Which is good because it means I myself am not in control but God is!

So this is where I am right now. I have decided if a full-time job comes open I will likely take it. I have absolutely enjoyed substituting because I have been able to serve in so many different capacities and subjects. This has allowed me to see where I might fit best in a classroom. I have taught PE the last few years and coached the last couple as most people know, but I do not want to be in the Gym anymore. I feel like classroom time will be most beneficial in preparing me to teach in Ghana, if and when the opportunity arises.

As I said I am currently looking for a church but I have a friend who has mentioned her church and it seems promising, especially for discipleship.

Well, there's tons more. No questions off limits when it comes to missions!! Feel free to email me any questions you may have, but I said I'd keep this brief and I think this is the best I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment