08 November 2010

Life Update

I haven't written anything on here since August so I'll play catch up...



August included time in the office at Hope for the Hungry settling accounts and turning in paperwork from the spring trip to Ghana (and the inadvertent side stay in the U.K.). This time was an incredible time in which I was able to work through some cultural struggles with the help of the compassionate missionaries at Hope. During this time I also got to make a trip to the Houston area and visit dear friends. This was also a much needed time of refreshment.



September and October I stayed busy. Each Tuesday and Thursday I spent the morning as a volunteer within a kindergarten classroom. My goal was to learn basic teaching methods and patterns for working with children and introducing the alphabet, phonics, rhyming, etc. In just a few weeks in the kindergarten classroom I think I learned more than I did the first time around 21 years ago! I learned many strategies and I also learned something about kindergarten teachers...they have mastered the art of A.D.D.! This teacher was incredible! She could be teaching and then turn to me and give me ideas on how to use natural resources in Africa to teach the same thing, and then she would go right on teaching! I'm telling you...kindergarten teachers are some of the most special people on this earth! If you know one, next time you see them tell them your friend Sandra says, "Thank YOU!" :)



Also in September and October, as my "tent-making job" I drove as a substitute school bus driver and I substitute taught a little bit. The school district kept me plenty busy but I thoroughly ENJOYED the opportunity to build relationships with other school district employees and just be real. We talked about family, friends, missionaries, kids, the community... There are some really neat people in this world and some pretty encouraging ones as well!



October included another significant event that I found myself devoting much time to and enjoying be able to do so. My dad accidentally cut his wrist while working one day. It has been a cRaZy month or so to say the least! During this time he was told his injury was nothing major, then two weeks later ended up having surgery and has spent the remainder of the time in a bit of pain as he heals. He took nearly a month of of work and is finally back at work. Daddy has been a great example of Christ likeness through his injury and healing process. While naturally frustrated at the inconvenience, he has handled this situation with grace and a thankful heart. While I would not at all wish this on him, I am grateful for the one-on-one time he and I have been able to spend over the last month.



Now we are into November! Already! I had hoped to leave for Ghana by November 30th but the Lord has not put things in order yet. So tentatively (until He shows me its a yes or no) I have the beginning to mid-December as my departure date and hope to return by late February. Currently my month of November includes a trip to North Carolina with a dear friend during which I will be able to meet some of my mom's side of the fam for the first time. I am excited to be there with my grandmother and see where her family grew up and where she called home. I think it will be a special time. Then we will travel to Kissimmee, Florida to hang out with some amazing friends and their beautiful new daughter! Our stay will be short but I look forward to cherished time there as well.

Over the next few weeks I will be traveling quite a bit visiting friends and family and sharing with churches the great things God is doing in Ghana, W. Africa! Your prayers appreciated and thanks for keeping up with me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment