23 February 2010

"I don't know that you can know for certain that you will go to heaven"

Or it could be said, "I don't know that anyone can know for sure that they are saved."

I've heard people say things like this my entire life. There was a time in my life when I thought the same thing.

As I meet with my amazing mentor, Kandy, this topic kind of keeps popping up and so I thought maybe, if nowhere else, I can address it here.

The two phrases in the title and the second line are false. We can know if we are saved or heaven-bound. First John 5:11-12 says, "And this is the testimony, God has given us eternal life and this life is found in His Son. He who has the Son has life. He who does not have the Son does not have eternal life."

Simply put, if you have chosen to believe in who Jesus said He was and still is today and you have received Him as your Savior and Lord...you have eternal life.

An illustration given by Kandy is...
If you ask someone if they are married they do not answer, "Well, I think I am" or "I'm pretty sure." They either say yes or they say no. They may be dealing with some issues within their marital relationship but they will know if they are or are not married. They know if they are still in a committed relationship bound by marriage.

The same with salvation. God's Word says there is no question. We are or we are not because we know if we have the Son or not. We may be dealing with some issues (aka working out our salvation) but we know whether we are or are not in a committed relationship. God is committed to us. He has been since before we existed.

So the only question left is...are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment